Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Sat Aug 30 12:28:12 UTC 2014

On Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 07:45:09AM +0100, Jamie Griffin wrote:
> I'm just wondering about the correct way to load kernel modules; namely,
> specifying them in /boot/loader.conf or /etc/rc.conf. For example;

Both are correct. According to rc.conf(5):

kld_list    (str) A list of kernel modules to load right after the local
            disks are mounted.  Loading modules at this point in the boot
            process is much faster than doing it via /boot/loader.conf
            for those modules not necessary for mounting local disk.

> Then, there is kld_list=kldi915 for the vt console driver, and also
> kern.vty=vt and hw.vga.textmode=1 in loader.conf for the same module.

The first statement is loading a module. The second and third statements are
kernel environment settings. According to vt(4), they can only be set in
loader.conf.

> Incidentally, the vt driver did not work properly for me when I used the
> latter in loader.conf and I had to use the kld_list line in rc.conf(5).

The syntax is different. In loader.conf it should be;

    i915kms_load="YES"

While in rc.conf you should use;

    kld_list="i915kms"

> What is the 'right' method for kernel module loading and is it just
> easier to compile them into the kernel going forward?

You can compile most modules into a custom kernel if you like. But IMO it's
not really worth the extra effort.

In any case I would advise you to keep a GENERIC kernel and modules around.
If your motherboard dies and you have to replace it you might end up with a
system that doesn't work properly with the custom kernel.

Roland
--
R.F.Smith                                   http://rsmith.home.xs4all.nl/
pgp: 5753 3324 1661 B0FE 8D93  FCED 40F6 D5DC A38A 33E0 (keyID: A38A33E0)