FreeBSD 10.0-R-p7 bind9.9 starting named on boot?

Burton Sampley bsmply at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 23 18:26:07 UTC 2014

Paul,

Thank you for your help.  I installed bind 9.9 from the ports collection (is there any other way???).  The only changes I have made to the named.conf file are to add the logging section as you have suggested.  To my amazement, after 2 consecutive reboots, named has started correctly.  I'm stumped as to why it would not start on boot before now, but I will not complain as long as it remains consistent.

root at fbsd:/var/log/named # /usr/sbin/pkg info | /usr/bin/grep bind
bind99-9.9.5P1_2               BIND DNS suite with updated DNSSEC and DNS64
dbus-glib-0.100.2_1            GLib bindings for the D-BUS messaging system
root at fbsd:/var/log/named # /usr/bin/uname -a
FreeBSD fbsd.chicken.fish 10.0-RELEASE-p7 FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE-p7 #0: Tue Jul  8 06:37:44 UTC 2014     root at amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
root at fbsd:/var/log/named #

Regards,

-Burton