FreeBSD 10.0-R-p7 bind9.9 starting named on boot?

Paul Kraus paul at kraus-haus.org
Fri Aug 22 01:26:09 UTC 2014

On Aug 21, 2014, at 21:01, Burton Sampley via freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org> wrote:

> This issue is still unresolved.  Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Did you install bind 9.9 from ports or packages or build it yourself ?

I am running 10p7 with bind 9.10 installed from ports with no issues:

root at freebsd2:~ # uname -a
FreeBSD freebsd2 10.0-RELEASE-p7 FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE-p7 #0: Tue Jul  8 06:37:44 UTC 2014     root at amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
root at freebsd2:~ # pkg info | grep bind
bind910-9.10.0P2_3             BIND DNS suite with updated DNSSEC and DNS64
root at freebsd2:~ # cat /etc/rc.conf
hostname="FreeBSD2"
ifconfig_bge0="inet snip netmask snip"
defaultrouter=“snip"
zfs_enable="YES"
sshd_enable="YES"
ntpd_enable="YES"
powerd_enable="YES"
dumpdev="AUTO"
named_enable="YES"
dhcpd_enable="YES"
#
# Disable Sendmail
sendmail_enable="NO"
sendmail_submit_enable="NO"
sendmail_outbound_enable="NO"
sendmail_msp_queue_enable="NO"
# Enable Postfix
postfix_enable="YES"
root at freebsd2:~ #

I have extensive bind logging configured (a holdover from when I used to manage DNS servers for a medium size company, a few thousand users), so I have detailed logs in /var/log/named. You may want to configure logging in named.conf as I have found that syslog does not always catch the bind startup messages you need to troubleshoot. Try this for troubleshooting (add to named.conf):

logging {
        // we define channels as locations for logs to go ...
        channel "syslog" {
                syslog daemon;
                severity info;
        };
        channel "info" {
                file "/var/log/named/named.info" versions 10 size 1m;
                severity info;
                print-category yes;
                print-severity yes;
                print-time yes;
        };
        // now we define the things to log and which channel to send them to
        category "default" {
                syslog;
                info;
        };
};

That should put everything in both syslog and /var/log/named/named.info (make sure the /var/log/named directory is writable by the named user). You can crank the severity up to “debug” on the channel (I would not do that on the syslog channel) for even more detailed logs.

You can also try to start named with the -f -d <n> options (from the command line). -f prevents to from detaching and demonizing, -d sets the debug level (higher numbers are more details debug info). I know your problem is a startup one, but I think you might find an odd error that is not a problem after the system has stabilized but may be an issue during the boot process.

--
Paul Kraus
paul at kraus-haus.org