FreeBSD 10.0-R-p7 bind9.9 starting named on boot?

Paul Kraus paul at kraus-haus.org
Sun Aug 24 02:44:59 UTC 2014

On Aug 23, 2014, at 14:23, Burton Sampley <bsmply at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thank you for your help.  I installed bind 9.9 from the ports collection (is there any other way???).  The only changes I have made to the named.conf file are to add the logging section as you have suggested.  To my amazement, after 2 consecutive reboots, named has started correctly.  I'm stumped as to why it would not start on boot before now, but I will not complain as long as it remains consistent.

I *think* the default logging configuration has any logging going to syslog, is it possible that named was trying to start before syslog was up and since it could not hand off the log messages it exited ? That is my best *guess* as to *how* that logging change can cause the fix.

Note that the logging config I gave you will generate *lots* of logs, so either adjust it back or add an /etc/newsyslog.conf entry for it to roll the logs.

--
Paul Kraus
paul at kraus-haus.org