Spam to list participants (from openhosting.com & softcom.com)

Erich Dollansky erichsfreebsdlist at alogt.com
Tue Apr 29 23:34:13 UTC 2014

Hi,

On Tue, 29 Apr 2014 21:29:17 +0000
David Joyce <davidj at softcom.com> wrote:

> I am a representative from the myhosting.com (SoftCom) abuse
> department, which is responsible for the IP ranges mentioned:

you are reading this list? Are you also a user of FreeBSD then?

> Since we did not receive any notifications about this spam since
> roughly a day ago, we were not made aware of the activity. I think
> that Ronald F. Guilmette is being a bit premature in asking to have
> our entire network blacklisted without any prior notification of the
> activity.

I reported this when I have gotten the first spam of this sort from a
different provider. Ok, the provider blocked that one IP/machine but
the spam moved then to a new IP. If you are lucky, you have already got
one spam-mail after posting here and might get a second one after I
answer yours.

As the spam stays the same but the IP addresses move across continents,
I believe that a botnet is behind the activities.

Good luck in finding out more.

Erich