Spam to list participants (from openhosting.com & softcom.com)

David Joyce davidj at softcom.com
Wed Apr 30 00:28:16 UTC 2014

Hi Erich,

I occasionally read this list and use FreeBSD once in a while.

Unlike that other provider we didn't just block a couple IP addresses.
We identified all servers purchased using similar information and shut
them down once we were made aware of the issue.

I did receive some spam messages after my post here, originating from
another hosting provider.

Unfortunately I can't provide too much information, but when looking at
the servers I found no obvious botnet traffic. There was no evidence
that the server was compromised. It appears the person who ordered the
server installed a PHP based application that was creating MySQL
connections to an Amazon AWS server, likely to obtain lists of fresh
email accounts to spam.

Again, if you notice any other of our servers involved in this, please
let me know by emailing abuse at myhosting.com so that I can do a more
detailed analysis and disable them as soon as possible.

Best Regards,
David