FreeBSD 10 USB3/Vantec NexStar HX4R

Richard L. Houston rhouston at rlhc.net
Mon Apr 28 01:45:57 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----

> On Apr 27, 2014, at 5:51 PM, Richard L. Houston < rhouston @ rlhc
> .net> wrote:

Thanks Chris but the issue is I can not see the disks on FreeBSD at all. All I get is the error I posted in the original message. My point about seeing the zpool on Linux was that the enclosure is working fine. Apologies if I was not clear that the disk were not accessible on FreeBSD . I thought that was evident from the error. Again sorry for the confusion. My fault for not being clear on the issue.

To clarify: I plug the HX4R into my FreeBSD 10 system to a USB3 port but I can not see the disks ( 1TB Dell Branded Western Digital) I get the following errors found in dmesg :

ugen0.2: <vendor 0x152d> at usbus0
umass0: <vendor 0x152d product 0x0551, class 0/0, rev 3.00/1.00, addr 1> on usbus0
umass0: SCSI over Bulk-Only; quirks = 0x0000
umass0: Get Max Lun not supported ( USB _ERR_TIMEOUT)
umass0:3:0:-1: Attached to scbus3
(probe0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): INQUIRY. CDB : 12 00 00 00 24 00
(probe0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): CAM status: CCB request completed with an error
(probe0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Retrying command
(probe0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): INQUIRY. CDB : 12 00 00 00 24 00
(probe0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): CAM status: CCB request completed with an error
(probe0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Retrying command
(probe0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): INQUIRY. CDB : 12 00 00 00 24 00
(probe0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): CAM status: CCB request completed with an error
(probe0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Retrying command
(probe0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): INQUIRY. CDB : 12 00 00 00 24 00
(probe0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): CAM status: CCB request completed with an error
(probe0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Retrying command
(probe0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): INQUIRY. CDB : 12 00 00 00 24 00
(probe0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): CAM status: CCB request completed with an error
(probe0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Error 5, Retries exhausted

Other the /dev/ada0 I dont seem to see any other disk devices.

Disclaimer