Re: The source code of *BSD contains the comment ‘Does this belong here?’

Paul Schmehl pschmehl_lists at tx.rr.com
Wed Apr 16 21:45:32 UTC 2014

--On April 16, 2014 at 4:36:57 PM -0500 Matthew Pherigo
<hybrid120 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Apr 16, 2014, at 3:41 PM, Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
>>
>> Before I reply to your quotes, allow me to ask you: Are
>> you fully sure you _understand_ what comments are?
>
> A more pressing question would be does he have the English
> comprehension skills to read articles that are not in his native
> language.
>
> The original snippet of the article he quotes says:
> "Lok Technologies , a San Jose, Calif.-based maker of networking gear,
> started out using Linux in its equipment but switched to OpenBSD four
> years ago after company founder... took a close look at the Linux
> source code."
>
> Meaning he found that snippet of code in the LINUX source code, not
> the BSD code.
>
> I told him this, but he doesn't seem to have noticed.

# grep -r "doesn't belong" /usr/src/*
/usr/src/bin/date/date.c:	 * doesn't belong here; the kernel should not
know about either.
/usr/src/contrib/gcc/gengtype.c:/* Generate the contents of the rtx_next
array.  This really doesn't belong
/usr/src/contrib/nvi/vi/v_ex.c:		 * doesn't belong here, but I can't find
another place to put
/usr/src/contrib/amd/ChangeLog:	* amd/am_ops.c (vops): autofs_ops doesn't
belong in here, removed
/usr/src/contrib/libarchive/libarchive/test/test_write_disk_perms.c: * The
second fails if this user doesn't belong to at least two groups;
/usr/src/contrib/libpcap/pcap/namedb.h: * XXX this stuff doesn't belong in
this interface, but this
/usr/src/contrib/binutils/gas/ChangeLog-9295:	out some code that doesn't
belong in this file.
/usr/src/contrib/llvm/tools/clang/lib/AST/DeclBase.cpp:  // 2. this is a
template parameter (and thus doesn't belong to its context)
/usr/src/contrib/llvm/include/llvm/MC/MCAssembler.h:// FIXME: This really
doesn't belong here. See comments below.
/usr/src/contrib/llvm/lib/MC/MCAsmStreamer.cpp:  // FIXME: This doesn't
belong in MCObjectFileInfo. However,
/usr/src/contrib/llvm/lib/ExecutionEngine/MCJIT/MCJIT.h:  // FIXME: This
really doesn't belong here.
/usr/src/contrib/tcpdump/addrtoname.c: * XXX pcap_next_etherent doesn't
belong in the pcap interface, but
/usr/src/crypto/heimdal/appl/ftp/ftp/ftp_locl.h:/* This doesn't belong
here. */
/usr/src/crypto/heimdal/appl/telnet/telnetd/telnetd.h:/* This doesn't
belong here. */
/usr/src/crypto/heimdal/ChangeLog.2006:	* Makefile.am: remove valgrind
target, it doesn't belong here.
/usr/src/games/fortune/datfiles/fortunes-o.real:Which of the following
doesn't belong?
/usr/src/games/fortune/datfiles/fortunes:	chute doesn't belong to anyone,
ever.

--
Paul Schmehl, Senior Infosec Analyst