best configuration management tool for FreeBSD?

Aleksandr Miroslav alexmiroslav at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 22:33:06 UTC 2014

hi,

We have a few (~15) FreeBSD boxes that we are running here. They are
all running 8.4, but they are up to date on their ports/patches.

We have some custom shellscripts (along with rsync)  to deploy our
code and and content, but we recently decided to use a proper
configuration manager tool to run our cluster. Internally, we've had a
lot of debate about that and have no clear winners (puppet seems to
get the most votes though).

What is the best configuration management tool for FreeBSD? We make
heavy use of installing things from ports, so any tool that
understands how to install upgrade stuff from ports would be great.

Thank you.
Alex