Problem with wireless router inaccessibility

Thomas Mueller mueller6724 at bellsouth.net
Wed Nov 13 05:57:17 UTC 2013

from Will Parsons:

> Bedroom computer is via Ethernet, right?  So you have a login screen
> but it won't accept your login name and password?  If so, you need to
> supply correct credentials, even if that means setting the router back
> to factory defaults.

> Thw problem with the living-room computer (connected via wireless, I
> assume?) may be that by default you can't log in remotely.  You can
> change that configuration option, but you have to be able to log in
> via the Ethernet first.

I can access the router and log in from the bedroom computer, connected by 25 ft Ethernet cable.

That was with Midori web browser on System Rescue CD.

I can even adjust settings.

Living room computer is connected by shorter Ethernet cable.

Can you actually set your router IP address using ifconfig(8) and route(8)?

Some or many routers have the ability to back up your settings.

With multiple wired and wireless ways to access the network, I might prefer command line over repeatedly modifying /etc/rc.conf .

What about live CDs or USB that need to be nonspecific on wired or wireless connection?

Tom