Problem with wireless router inaccessibility

Will Parsons varro at nodomain.invalid
Tue Nov 12 01:30:27 UTC 2013

Thomas Mueller wrote:
> from Will Parsons:
>
>> Are you sure it's 192.168.1.1?  I have a Netgear router, and the
>> manual falsely claims that that address is the default IP address, but
>> I'm pretty sure that the real default was 10.0.0.1 (can't be sure for
>> certain, since I've since changed it).
>
>> This may be not relevant to your situation, but I recently had a
>> problem in that I disabled the option on the router to serve as a DHCP
>> server (for reasons that I will not go into), and found that I could
>> no longer reach the router, even via Ethernet.  (Solution was to set a
>> static IP address and default route in /etc/rc.conf.)
>
> Did you regain login access to the router?

As I said, I temporarily set a static IP address in /etc/rc.conf:

  defaultrouter="10.0.1.1"
  ifconfig_re0="10.0.1.7 netmask 255.255.255.0"

But, if I understand you, you can reach the router (e.g., via ping),
but if you attempt to go to http://192.168.1.1 (or whatever), you
don't get a login screen?

> How do you regain login access to the router if you change its IP
> address and then forget what you changed it to?
>
> I guess the pin-through-a-hole reset would get you back.

If you've forgotten what IP address you assigned it, resetting to
factory defaults is the logical solution.  (Might be a good idea to
keep a log book in the future when you make configuration changes.)

--
Will