mutt and http//url???

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Mar 23 02:04:11 UTC 2013

On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 18:18:55 -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> 	anyway, with my konsole at std size, ~37x80, I moused dead-on
> 	the http string.  same as before: the string showed up from the
> 	'http://.....' to the eol.  and when I clicked, I got garbage.

The only way I tried (and confirmed) to deal with this
particular problem is to make the "select URL" process
a bit more complex (in terms of steps involed):

Use a triple-click to select the whole (multi-line) URL,
OR select it manually. Doing so with a held-down left
mouse button will transfer the selected text into the
edit buffer. In this specific case where the '+' characters
have been eliminated, the line breaks will also _not_
be part of the edit buffer content.

I've tried this by selecting a multi-line URL in a
normal X terminal (xterm) and pasting it to a GUI text
editor - result: one line, as intended. Now if I do a
middle-click in the web browser (Opera in my case), it
will navigate to that URL in the current tab (or open
a new tab for it if I click on an empty space on the
tab bar).

The same concept applies to Firefox, but you need to have
one instance of it started. Click the middle mouse button
(or if you don't have one, press down the mouse wheel).
Now Firefox will receive the full URL and go to that
web page.

However, this is, as you see, a bit more complicated.
You can still try it and verify if it will work in your
setting.

> 	wait, there's more.  I blew up the konsole  until it filled the
> 	entire  screen.  [i did this once before and got the right page.]
> 	it still worked.  no '+' line break, but still.

That's an interesting workaround, but also makes things
unneccessarily complicated. An intermediate solution could
be to maximize the whole terminal application and use
virtual desktops (workspaces) to switch between MUA and
web browser. Still that's suboptimum.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany