Adding another mirror to existing ZFS-root mirror?

Scott Ballantyne sdb at ssr.com
Mon Jul 15 17:04:43 UTC 2013

Hi,

I have the current situation:

sdb at gigawattmomma$ zpool status zroot

	NAME           STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
	zroot          ONLINE       0     0     0
	  mirror-0     ONLINE       0     0     0
	    gpt/disk0  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    gpt/disk1  ONLINE       0     0     0

I boot directly from this.

This article from Oracle:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01/819-5461/gazgw/index.html

implies I can add two more disks to the zroot pool with a

zpool add zroot mirror disk2 disk3 to get

zroot
  mirror-0
    gpt/disk0
    gpt/disk1
  mirror-1
    gpt/disk2
    gpt/disk3

My questions:

1) Will booting still work? What do I need to do to make sure I can
still boot up the system?

Perhaps related:

2) How do I use gpart to prep these disks?

The current mirror has the usual three partitions (freebsd-boot,
freebsd-swap and freebsd-zfs), with boot code installed, obviously. Do
I need to do that with the second mirror, or can I just use the whole
thing for a freebsd-zfs filesystem?

Sorry this was a bit long. Thanks in advance for any help.

Best,
Scott
sdb at ssr.com