Sharing a mail folder between Linux and FreeBSD

Erich Dollansky erichsfreebsdlist at alogt.com
Sun Jan 27 14:28:53 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 13:58:06 +0100
Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 15:38:38 +0700, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 09:15:09 +0100
> > "Ralf Mardorf" <ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Good morning,
> >
> > ood morning? The sun is settling soon!
>
> The sun of the planet of the ood?
> Or the former Sun of one of the microsystems? :-)

both Suns are gone now. Only one will return tomorrow morning.

> > > if I run 'make deinstall reinstall' for a port, it doesn't ask a
> > > single question, at least not for dbus.
> > >
> > > # ls -l /usr/local/bin/dbus-daemon
> > > -r-xr-xr-x  1 rocketmouse  wheel  377744 Jan 18 22:44
> > > /usr/local/bin/dbus-daemon
> > >
> > > # cd /usr/ports/devel/dbus ; make deinstall reinstall
> > >
> > > # ls -l /usr/local/bin/dbus-daemon
> > > -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  377744 Jan 27
> > > 08:55 /usr/local/bin/dbus-daemon
> > >
> > > Is there a command to deinstall and reinstall all ports or an idea
> > > for a script to do it?
> > >
> > Check portupgrade or one of other utilities to handle ports. There
> > is one option to force an upgrade even if it would be a downgrade.
>
> With tools like portmaster, this task can easily be automated.
> If you only will have to handle a few ports, using the "bare
> ports method" (make) is probably the easiest way (in case
> everything else stays definitely consistent).

I would say that - especially in his case - he will get a working
system as he does not want to upgrade a single port.

> > > Do I have to reboot into single user mode and then to run "make
> > > installworld" only to reinstall world?
> >
> > No, you just run it as root. It should work afterword except for
> > currently running programs.
>
> The comment header of /usr/src/Makefile suggests installing the
> world in single user mode (steps 5 - 11).

I think that installing it in multi-user mode without other users having
things running, will work in 99.9999% of the cases. In his special
case, it will work 100% as only the permissions should et changed.

> #  1.  `cd /usr/src'       (or to the directory containing your
> source tree). #  2.  `make buildworld'
> #  3.  `make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'     (default is
> GENERIC). #  4.  `make installkernel
> KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'   (default is GENERIC). #       [steps 3.
> & 4. can be combined by using the "kernel" target] #  5.
> `reboot'        (in single user mode: boot -s from the loader
> prompt). #  6.  `mergemaster -p' #  7.  `make installworld'
> #  8.  `make delete-old'
> #  9.  `mergemaster'            (you may wish to use -i, along with
> -U or -F). # 10.  `reboot'
> # 11.  `make delete-old-libs' (in case no 3rd party program uses them
> anymore)
>
> This should be the safest method.

Isn't it the overkill in his situation?

Erich