Sharing a mail folder between Linux and FreeBSD

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Jan 27 12:58:13 UTC 2013

On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 15:38:38 +0700, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 09:15:09 +0100
> "Ralf Mardorf" <ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Good morning,
>
> ood morning? The sun is settling soon!

The sun of the planet of the ood?
Or the former Sun of one of the microsystems? :-)

> > if I run 'make deinstall reinstall' for a port, it doesn't ask a
> > single question, at least not for dbus.
> >
> > # ls -l /usr/local/bin/dbus-daemon
> > -r-xr-xr-x  1 rocketmouse  wheel  377744 Jan 18 22:44
> > /usr/local/bin/dbus-daemon
> >
> > # cd /usr/ports/devel/dbus ; make deinstall reinstall
> >
> > # ls -l /usr/local/bin/dbus-daemon
> > -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  377744 Jan 27
> > 08:55 /usr/local/bin/dbus-daemon
> >
> > Is there a command to deinstall and reinstall all ports or an idea
> > for a script to do it?
> >
> Check portupgrade or one of other utilities to handle ports. There is
> one option to force an upgrade even if it would be a downgrade.

With tools like portmaster, this task can easily be automated.
If you only will have to handle a few ports, using the "bare
ports method" (make) is probably the easiest way (in case
everything else stays definitely consistent).

> > Do I have to reboot into single user mode and then to run "make
> > installworld" only to reinstall world?
>
> No, you just run it as root. It should work afterword except for
> currently running programs.

The comment header of /usr/src/Makefile suggests installing the
world in single user mode (steps 5 - 11).

#  1.  `cd /usr/src'       (or to the directory containing your source tree).
#  2.  `make buildworld'
#  3.  `make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'     (default is GENERIC).
#  4.  `make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'   (default is GENERIC).
#       [steps 3. & 4. can be combined by using the "kernel" target]
#  5.  `reboot'        (in single user mode: boot -s from the loader prompt).
#  6.  `mergemaster -p'
#  7.  `make installworld'
#  8.  `make delete-old'
#  9.  `mergemaster'            (you may wish to use -i, along with -U or -F).
# 10.  `reboot'
# 11.  `make delete-old-libs' (in case no 3rd party program uses them anymore)

This should be the safest method.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany