Editors are broken after update

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Jan 21 02:54:02 UTC 2013

On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 14:20:10 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Since I only run "mcedit" without a file, the error message is grotesque
> and btw.

Exactly - it is, and probably misleading as it implies that
mcedit is trying to access something that doesn't even exist,
even with a maximum of imagination.

> $ ls -l /usr/home
> total 2
> drwxr-xr-x  26 rocketmouse  rocketmouse  1536 Jan 20 13:07 rocketmouse
> $ ls -l /home
> lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  8 Dec 18 19:19 /home -> usr/home

That is a valid symlink on a FreeBSD installation (and has been
a default for a long time), so /home/rocketmouse will equal
/usr/home/rocketmouse, _not_ user/home/rocketmouse as shown
in the error message.

> Thank you for the hints. I take the issues with a good portion of humor.

I think this isn't funny anymore - an editor that stops working
without explaining the reason in an understandable way...

> This might explain why you're confused regarding to the /home path:
>
> $ cat /etc/fstab
> # Device		Mountpoint	FStype	Options		Dump	Pass#
> /dev/ad4s1b		none		swap	sw		0	0
> /dev/ad4s1a		/		ufs	rw		1	1
> /dev/ad4s1e		/tmp		ufs	rw		2	2
> /dev/ad4s1f		/usr		ufs	rw		2	2
> /dev/ad4s1d		/var		ufs	rw		2	2
> /dev/acd0		/cdrom		cd9660	ro,noauto	0	0
> #proc                   /proc           procfs  rw              0       0

No, looks perfectly valid. On my other system, for example, I
have /home being /export/home with the proper symlink, and no
problems at all.

> $ mc
>
> does start midnight commander, but if I push "4 Edit" I get the same error
> message.

Okay, so the problem lies deeply within the editor.

> I did "dump -0Launf [...]" everything and will continue later. Hopefully
> with some fun, when starting with audio, instead of mcedit.

In worst case, try portdowngrade (or use svn to obtain an older
copy of the mc port where the editor hasn't been disimproved yet).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany