FreeBSD 8.2 with pre-built KDE 3.5 package from FreeBSD 7.1 DVD

Georg Reilinger georgreilinger at yahoo.de
Fri Jan 18 02:06:21 UTC 2013

________________________________
 Von: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com>
An: "freebsd-questions at freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
Gesendet: 2:37 Freitag, 18.Januar 2013
Betreff: Re: FreeBSD 8.2 with pre-built KDE 3.5 package from FreeBSD 7.1 DVD

-- Some decisions from upstream are a PITA. I'm from Linux, it's more up-to-date than FreeBSD. On Linux I switched from KDE 3 to GNOME 2, when KDE 4 was introduced and from GNOME 2 to Xfce, when GNOME 3 was introduced.

I have tried both, GNOME and Xfce. Found both to be kinda yuckie. Not really feeling at home here.

-- There are forks of GNOME 2, but I guess there's no fork of KDE 3.

Actually there is. It is called Trinity: http://www.trinitydesktop.org/ , but I don't know, if it is currently supported on FreeBSD.
If not, may be a reason, to become a porter!

-- Some users claim that it should be possible to set up KDE 4, that it become equal to KDE 3. I doubt that.

I highly and holily second that. I have heard quite a few people complain about KDE 4's heavy hunger for resources.

-- Another issue are hard dependencies, such as the dependency to the buggy pulseaudio. You better get rid of KDE and start to accustom to another DE.

This would be my very last option. As you can see, I am still working on a go around here.

2 Cents,
Ralf