Question regarding a server with an unsupported old version

Erich Dollansky erichfreebsdlist at ovitrap.com
Mon Oct 22 03:10:17 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 11:31:36 +0900
Rei Okamoto <okamoto at mix-net.co.jp> wrote:

> One of the clients is running the web site using
> FreeBSD 4.7.

this is not a real fresh installation.

> Although it is surely the best to renew the server to
> newest machine and OS, the client is reluctant to do so
> because of money.

There is still the option to use a supported version of FreeBSD. You
can have a try with 7.4. Some hardware support was taken out with 8.
But if 8 works, take 8.3.

> as I try to install PHP4 with a following command,

I doubt that you will get this anywhere anymore.

> Is there any suggestion on what I can do
> other than convincing the client to renew the server?
> (which I am doing but already been politely refused)

Just try a newer FreeBSD version. 7.4 is currently still supported.

Of course, it also could be that 9.1 is running on this hardware. This
would be perfect. But I do not know if you can get the client's web
sites running on a current PHP version.

Erich