Making Music / Video folders on FreeBSD visible on HD TV

Graeme Dargie arab at tangerine-army.co.uk
Wed Mar 14 14:33:07 UTC 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org [mailto:owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org] On Behalf Of Arthur Chance
Sent: 14 March 2012 10:27
To: FreeBSD
Cc: Carmel
Subject: Re: Making Music / Video folders on FreeBSD visible on HD TV

On 03/13/12 19:54, Carmel wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 13:59:45 -0500
> Adam Vande More articulated:
>
>> Are you sure these devices aren't trying to connect to a DLNA server?
>> Such need can be met by net/mediatomb or other port.
>
> A couple of people have replied to this thread. The Samba shares are
> configured correctly and are visible on my Windows based PCs. I have
> no idea if the TVs are using DLNA. I never had to configure anything,
> other than sharing the folders, on my Microsoft PCs, so am I to assume
> that DLNA is always available on that OS? Anyway, I will try your
> suggestion.

I have a Sony networked TV, and it definitely needs a DLNA server and is very picky about what formats are served. I'm not a Windows user but I have the impression Home or Home Premium versions of Vista/Win7 have DLNA support built in.

Alexander Leidinger has written a couple of blog posts on getting Sony TVs working with FBSD. Take a look at this and the related posts:

http://www.leidinger.net/blog/2011/09/15/sony-bravia-tv-dlna-formats/