much to my surprise.... [ now trending #OT ]

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Fri Sep 23 18:26:15 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 12:27:57PM +0100, Dave wrote:
> Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 12:27:57 +0100
> From: Dave <dave at g8kbv.demon.co.uk>
> Subject: Re: much to my surprise.... [ now trending #OT ]
> To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
>
> From:           	"Matt Emmerton" <matt at gsicomp.on.ca>
>
> > <snip>
> >
> > > but i've been doing this for a while, and
> > > until i was away for five days, everything had been going
> > > fine for over a month.  oh:: one power-out.  the UPS saved
> > > the server, but everything else needed to be reinitialized.
> >
> > A lesson that I learned many years ago - if you can afford a "big" UPS
> > for your servers, you can afford a "little" one for your telco/network
> > equipment.
> >

> I'm using some PoE kit to power the router remotely down it's LAN cable,
> that in turn run's from the protected supply from the UPS.  Said UPS also
> powers the main network switch, as well as my own LAN server (f'BSD
> based, to stay vaguely on toppic!) Plus two other PC's and a NAS device.
>
> It'll hold that lot up, for over 20 minutes when the lights go out (the
> longest unscheduled outage so far.)  It's also configured to NOT come
> back, if it runs down and cuts out.  I'll do that manually if needed.
> (Not so far.)  I never did get the BSD port of APCUPSD to work correctly.
>
> All works well.  Also, easy to do a router "Hard" restart, without going
> to the router itself.   And if it does all die, it fails safe.
>
> Regards.
>
> Dave B.

	see, if i had help at =your= level of expertise, i'd be
	fine.  4 days in the icu is still ,messing me up a bit, but
	i grok most of what you're saying to matt.

	Oh, and for those who suggested i hire somebody instead of
	relying on volunteers:: while there is a seattle linux
	group, gslug, i know 0.0 people who have a clue about BSD.
	i've asked around--the senior techs at the telco have no
	clue when i [or someone who can speak] mentioned 'unix'.
	i've tried to find some students at the u/washington.  zip.
	linux, a few people mumble, 'yes, ive heard of that.' but
	unix, or berkeley unix , or sun unix.  {gawk: Orifice unix,
	rather} Zero.

	BTW, ive not had time nor savvy to get the APC UPS Port
	installed.  besides, right now, there in only one 2009 dell
	2-cpu on the battery.  it has saved state twice.  but i
	=still= had to get down and crawl around with flashlight in
	teeth and power off stuff.  -no, no 'poor gary'; that's just
	the bare facts.

	-g

           Journey Toward the Dawn, E-Book: http://www.thought.org
          The 8.51a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org