FreeBSD 8.2 Partition Sizing question

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Wed Sep 14 18:31:47 UTC 2011

On Sep 14, 2011, at 11:27 AM, Jonathan Vomacka wrote:
> In regards to partitioning, I have a question regarding a "rumor" that has been told to me by various different linux experts, and I wanted to confirm if this also takes place with FreeBSD Unix. In the past, I have always had the root filesystem (/) and the /usr filesystem all on seperate partitions. I was told that having /usr on a seperate partition is an "old" way of doing things and actually causes issues when /usr is mounted separately from root (/). Does this play true in FreeBSD or is that thought process nonsense? I was told to create a larger root filesystem and NOT create usr seperately as /usr will mount off the root filesystem anyway. Will there be any issues by having /usr on a separate partition then root? I will like to know any opinions on this, as well as suggestions based on how other FreeBSD guru's have their server setups.

There is nothing wrong with having / and /usr on separate partitions; in fact, there are some mild advantages to fine-grained partitioning for folks who pay attention to their filesystem space usage.  However, there is nothing wrong with a single root partition (well, and swap partition), either.

Regards,
--
-Chuck