What are the technical differences between Linux and BSD?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Oct 31 19:59:31 UTC 2011

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 16:50:11 -0300, Zantgo wrote:
> I mean, like BSD is based on the original UNIX, and Linux on
> System V, Linux should include new technologies, or why not?,
> Is that Linux includes more new hardware, but I mean as is
> "within "management technologies, security, etc. ..

Compage to "The UNIX system family tree: Research and BSD"
found in /usr/share/misc/bsd-family-tree on your local
installation.

Also keep in mind that while FreeBSD has a concept of "the
operating system" and "ported applications" / "3rd party
software", Linux does not have such a differentiation, so
it's a bit complicated of comparing "just the OSes" to
each other. Things like security and hardware support have
their basics within the kernel, those are abstracted by
libraries; some of them are part of the OS, others are
provided by additional software.

> PD: I know that BSD is more secure, stable and fast, although
> in relation to performance, ports are not very fast.

I don't think so. It's possible that ports, compiled for
the architecture in use, as well with using optimizations
that are not part of the default settings (with which the
packages are made) can benefit _faster_ operations of
ports vs. packages.

An example is mplayer, when compiled for older systems:
Here flags depending on the CPU actually in use can help.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany