FreeBSD Python version

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Wed May 25 11:55:41 UTC 2011

On 25/05/2011 05:58, Patrick Brookings wrote:

> Can you please tell me what standard version of Python comes with
> the latest FreeBSD?
> And also, is it possible to upgrade to a newer version without
> breaking other functionalities?

python doesn't come as standard with FreeBSD.  It's an add-on you'ld
install from the ports.  The base system doesn't need python -- just
about everything is written in some combination of shell or C/C++ or make.

Upgrade to a newer version of python or a newer version of FreeBSD?  I
believe the answer is yes in both cases, but really it depends on the
delta in version numbers and whether your particular application
requires any specific features affected by the upgrade.

> I am asking because more and more scripts require at least Python
> 2.5, whereas CentOS for example only comes with 2.4.3, and it's
> pretty much impossible to upgrade the system Python without breaking
> yum and things like that.

The following versions are available in ports:

lucid-nonsense:/usr/ports/lang:% ls -lad python??
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  8 Jul 20  2010 python24/
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  8 Mar  5 07:56 python25/
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  7 Mar  8 06:12 python26/
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  7 Mar 26 09:45 python27/
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  8 Mar  5 07:56 python31/
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  8 Mar  5 07:56 python32/

or there's the lang/python port which is a meta-port that gets you the
default version, currently python-2.7

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3