FreeBSD Python version

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Wed May 25 11:54:19 UTC 2011

On Wed, 25 May 2011 07:58:56 +0300
Patrick Brookings <patrick at icebluehost.com> articulated:

> Hello,
>
> Can you please tell me what standard version of Python comes with the
> latest FreeBSD? And also, is it possible to upgrade to a newer
> version without breaking other functionalities?
>
> I am asking because more and more scripts require at least Python
> 2.5, whereas CentOS for example only comes with 2.4.3, and it's
> pretty much impossible to upgrade the system Python without breaking
> yum and things like that.

I think it it 2.7.1:

python --version
Python 2.7.1

That is what I have anyway, and I don't remember ever updating it.
There is Python 3.2.0 available in the ports system. The new release
version from python for 3.2.1RC1 is due out May 23. It will probably
reach the ports shortly after that date.

--
Jerry ✌
jerry+fbsd at seibercom.net

Disclaimer: off-list followups get on-list replies or ignored.
Do not CC this poster. Please do not ignore the "Reply-To" header.