How to repair networking

doug doug at fledge.watson.org
Mon Jun 20 16:00:17 UTC 2011

I was running 8.2 stable and kde3.5. Originally I want to install chrome. I
trying to update the many interlocking components I eventually got to the point
where I thought I would just start again so I removed all ports.

At this point I lost networking, neither DHCP or manually configuring an IP
address worked so I put my data on a USB drive and really started over. My
question is would rebuilding the world likely have worked? If what else should I
have tried before jumping off the deep end? Thanks for any thoughts

Doug