How to repair networking

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Jun 20 16:49:05 UTC 2011

On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 12:00:13 -0400 (EDT), doug wrote:
> I was running 8.2 stable and kde3.5. Originally I want to install chrome. I
> trying to update the many interlocking components I eventually got to the point
> where I thought I would just start again so I removed all ports.
>
> At this point I lost networking, neither DHCP or manually configuring an IP
> address worked so I put my data on a USB drive and really started over. My
> question is would rebuilding the world likely have worked? If what else should I
> have tried before jumping off the deep end? Thanks for any thoughts

It should _not_ happen that removing installed ports prevents
you from gaining essential networking functionality, such as
obtaining data per DHCP.

If you have installed the sources (/usr/src subtree), and the
required building tools are working, try to rebuild world and
install it as described in /usr/src/Makefile's comment section.
If your world _matches_ the kernel installed, you can omit that
step. In case it does _not_, you'll have to rebuild both world
and kernel.

Afterwards, you should be able to reinstall all needed ports
and then restore the data to the system.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany