Any working SIP-phone on FreeBSD?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Jun 20 11:57:43 UTC 2011

Thanks for coming back on-topic. :-)

On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 14:42:51 -0700 (PDT), Bill Tillman wrote:
> The main reason is that hackers in this world have
> caused all of us to in one way or another deploy firewalls. And I would say that
> 99% of the non-hobbyists out there don't have a clue how to configure their
> firewall, indeed many of them don't even know they have one working. Whether
> it's M$ built-in firewall or the firewall on their ISP supplied router/modem, or
> the hotel they are staying at is blocking SIP ports. Unless you can get the
> person on the other end to receive your phone call then very little works. Which
> is a real shame because as a hobbyist I have done some really neat things with
> SIP phones, Asterisk, not to mention VPN and other packages. But without another
> hobbyist on the other end, its proved more than impossible to get things working
> which I could really use on a daily basis.

I think another problem worth mentioning is that ISPs also
tend to control what you're doing with your Internet connection.
Some of them block using POP/SMTP/IMAP, "encouraging" you to
use their service, and some of them will surely also do the
same to SIP related activities, as they also provide a phone
service you "should" use. And if you're starting to put everything
into a secure tunnel (SSH or the like)... well... you must be
an evil-doer. :-) See "net neutrality" as a related term.

> Oh and just in case...I use Asterisk on FreeBSD-8.2-STABLE as my PBX for my
> private home office. I connect via SIP with a VOIP provider who provides not
> only phone service but a DID as well. I use SIP phones (actual phones, not
> software) to make my SOHO appear to be a professional corporate office with
> transfers, conference calls, Music on hold, voice mail, the works.

That would be a suggestion I would _always_ give when a PBX
is required, and it's really nice for business as you don't
have to administrate two nets (computer network, phone network).
On the other hand, I'm still searching for a solution to make
"PC + phone" workstations built from PCs, and later on, from
Thin Clients, so you have both functionalities in one device.
This is good for the environment (less power consumption), and
it's also good because it needs less administration time. On
the other hand, it allows flexibility and easy use.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany