Any working SIP-phone on FreeBSD?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Jun 20 11:50:51 UTC 2011

On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 22:03:11 +0200, Jurgen Debo wrote:
> Open source software is not related to the comfort to configure or install
> software.

I traditionally see the "ease of installing" software on "Windows"
when users call me to _do_ it. Things are aleays easy if you leave
them to others. :-)

> It depends how the software is written.

In this regards, MICROS~1 didn't do a good job if you recall how
complicated and time-consuming (physical presence required) it is
to install their products...

> If You want to be hacked in no time, trust me, do run Microsoft servers.
> And if You are not hacked, it is, You did have luck or You are not running
> important websites.

And recovery, repair and resurrection is traditionally a job for
the high-payed non-MICROS~1 guys. :-)

> When people do buy a PC they got
> Microsoft software for free.

No, they pay for it through OEM contracts. However, they do not
pay when ilegally downloading expensive products and installing
such pirated versions; it's a common setting here in Germany,
even for small and medium businesses. It originates from the
misbelief that "nothing else exists", and "you _must_ have
it", as well as "software doesn't cost anything because it's
not material".

> To run programs, it is just fun.  But if You would trace all outgoing
> connections
> from Your workstations to the internet, if You have no concerns about
> security, privacy
> and so on, then I can understand Your vision.

It's a total no-go in relation with industry espionage and
product development.

> And Russia did recommend recently their citizens to switch to Linux.
> Btw from decades, the best hackers were Russians.

MICROS~1 is known to be in relation to governments that want
to know everything. Funny that they don't have a mass contract
with the russian government...

> If you want Your company to expose everything to the public, to breach
> security and
> privacy, yes, run Microsoft software.

Again, I've seen that in reality. Very ugly.

> If You have insight inside the software of Microsoft, You would see, there
> is always
> a backdoor which is not closed, which is used to send information to the
> internet.
> Those backdoors are exploited by hackers to enter into the OS.

It's interesting what you can see when you run a packet
monitoring program (e. g. Wireshark, ex Ethereal). :-)

> Blaming Microsoft.  Who does write closed protocols ?  Microsoft.  Who does
> refuse
> to deliver properly software which does connect seamless with the Unix
> environment ?
> Who does refuse to open the DirectX library of games etc.

They have no future doing so. The end approaches, and they
know it.

> Microsoft is a commercial entity and they have no interest in open software.

As long as they can't buy it, enclose it, sell it.

> At the contrary
> they want to create a closed box.

This will be the trend of the future I think. Closed boxes, maybe
TVs and mobile devices (pads, cellphones, low-power netbooks and
so on), while computation takes place on high-power servers. The
PC is an experiment (started in the 80s) that's soon reaching its
end. A failed experiment, so to say.

> FreeBSD can be compiled from Source.  You can read all code.
> You can't do this with Microsoft OS.

This also introduces trouble when things do NOT work. This is
the point where you have to do diagnostics. In open source, you
can find out such things - you have error messages and sources
to check. In proprietary software, you can call the manufacturer,
he then claims he doesn't have the problem, and you're screwed.
I've just seen that situation with a book-keeping software running
on "Windows". Solution? None.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany