Lennart Poettering: BSD Isn't Relevant Anymore

Mario Lobo lobo at bsd.com.br
Tue Jul 19 00:00:07 UTC 2011

Hi;

First of all, forgive me for top posting but I don't want to "disturb" the
debate between Jerry and Polytropon. In fact, I enjoyed it so much that I
saved it in separate folder. It is just plain good reading, not only because
of the issue at hand, but also because of the elegance and intelligence of the
arguments presented by each of them, and because it was delightful to notice
how their cultural backgrounds influence their presentations, to the point
where even when using "harsh words" didn't carry offense.

I firmly believe that this is why FreeBSD exists. Because it is backed up by
people of this caliber, whether as users or developers. Even the trolls and
flame wars here (not in NO way implying that this thread was one!) make more
intelligent and enjoyable reading than in any other forum I go.

In my humble user opinion, that is why FreeBSD is more than relevant. To me,
at least, is indispensable, both as a tool and as a reference for every other
OS in existence. I am not arguing here that my preference is "better" than
anybody else's. FreeBSD itself is wide enough to fit a huge number of them.
This universe expands even more if you add the other BSDs.

This is just a thank-you note and for sharing a simple permanent feeling of
relief for having made a good choice.

The only offense that keeps coming back is the post's subject.

Best regards,
--
Mario Lobo
http://www.mallavoodoo.com.br