Streams fail, more/less.

Paul Macdonald paul at ifdnrg.com
Wed Jan 26 21:00:55 UTC 2011

On 25/01/2011 23:54, Gary Kline wrote:
> The _last_ thing that I need to resolve--or at least to understand, is why
> streams suddenly stopped working about two weeks ago.  With all the other
> hassles, I didn't want to check and see if streams worked here on my server
> --they don't.  The streams stall after a few seconds or a few minutes on my
> Ubuntu desktop.  The youtube streams always worked before.  No more.
>
> Meanwhile I have no trouble downloading source or packages at 110 to 170kpbs .
>   But the streams fail: both audio and video.  I have zero idea even where to
>   begin looking to fix this problem.
>
>   Anybody know?
>
>   thanks in advance,
>
>   gary
>

>   PS: some audio will streams at very slow rate ... but usually stops after a
>   few minutes.

this is probably just an insufficient bandwidth problem,  check the
bitrate of the streams you are listening, try lower bitrate ones (
64kbps or even 32kbps) to verify that there's no other problem.

Check your residential dsl package speed ( i use www.speedtest.net but
there might be a better one near you, google dsl speed test).  Test it
against a local POP that you think hosts streams, ie soemwhere where
there's lot of data centers.

You will get different download speeds from different services online
depending on how they and you are connected, but in general, 170Kbps
isn't very fast, especially as a lot of streaming stattions will be 128
or poss even 192Kbps.

  Paul.
-------------------------

Paul Macdonald