Streams fail, more/less.

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Wed Jan 26 23:47:56 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 09:00:49PM +0000, Paul Macdonald wrote:
> On 25/01/2011 23:54, Gary Kline wrote:
> >The _last_ thing that I need to resolve--or at least to understand, is why
> >streams suddenly stopped working about two weeks ago.  With all the other
> >hassles, I didn't want to check and see if streams worked here on my server
> >--they don't.  The streams stall after a few seconds or a few minutes on my
> >Ubuntu desktop.  The youtube streams always worked before.  No more.
> >
> >Meanwhile I have no trouble downloading source or packages at 110 to 170kpbs .
> >  But the streams fail: both audio and video.  I have zero idea even where to
> >  begin looking to fix this problem.
> >
> >  Anybody know?
> >
> >  thanks in advance,
> >
> >  gary
> >

> >  PS: some audio will streams at very slow rate ... but usually stops after a
> >  few minutes.
> >

> this is probably just an insufficient bandwidth problem,  check the
> bitrate of the streams you are listening, try lower bitrate ones (
> 64kbps or even 32kbps) to verify that there's no other problem.
>
> Check your residential dsl package speed ( i use www.speedtest.net
> but there might be a better one near you, google dsl speed test).
> Test it against a local POP that you think hosts streams, ie
> soemwhere where there's lot of data centers.
>
> You will get different download speeds from different services
> online depending on how they and you are connected, but in general,
> 170Kbps isn't very fast, especially as a lot of streaming stattions
> will be 128 or poss even 192Kbps.

	I'll check for my mean d/load speed; according to the telco,
	I've got 1meg down and 864k up.

	I was watching a youtube stream that went beautifully and quit
	after 10 minutes.  Prior to when things broke, I was able to
	stream NOVA and lots more video non-stop; and of course no
	problem with the slower audio.  (*sigh*)

	thanks much.

	gary

	PS:  I'm seriously/SERIOUSLT thinking of giving up the ghost
	after ten years and letting Real system admins host my domain.
	I don't know where to start ....'

           Journey Toward the Dawn, E-Book: http://www.thought.org
          The 7.97a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org