How can I implement true vps with FreeBSD as a host?

Da Rock freebsd-questions at herveybayaustralia.com.au
Sat Jan 1 01:07:45 UTC 2011

On 01/01/11 10:56, Martes G Wigglesworth wrote:

> Just wanted to clarify:
>
> I do understand that Xen runs under the dom0 OS however, I keep
> forgetting to use the correct terminology.
>
> sorry about that.
>
> I guess the requirement is that FreeBSD needs kernel work to run as a
> hypervisor-aware dom0 Operating system.
>
> I may want to check on what I am really trying to do.
>
> I really just want to have a fair, and/or encapsulation of jailed
> environments.
>
> Is there really no other way to do this without running VBox?
>
> Has anyone ever investigated a fair resource manager for jails on BSD
> before?
>
> (I know this is probably a huge undertaking, but I figured that was
> the only third option that I came up with, prior to emailing the list...)

Depends on what you mean by 'fair'. I think you can now determine CPU
usage in jails, even allocate cores. I think the man pages can tell you
more about that, and the docs on freebsd.org. You can unmask some
devices within the jail and allow only certain jails and users to access
it. And finally I think you can jail a jail now, so that might be
useful- especially in CPU allocation.

Jails will run faster than VBox (or qemu, or VMWare), you're basically
running a specific system which puts it in the same category as Xen
without the Vt stuff so it will run on any hardware you choose. Thats a
very good start anyway.