are there any GUI editors that use vi/vim-like abbreviations

Fred fred at blakemfg.com
Tue Feb 22 01:53:23 UTC 2011

On 02/21/11 18:32, Gary Kline wrote:
> 	iF we throw out "gvim" since it is simply the GUI variant of
> 	vim, are there are other GUI editors that use the kinds of :ab
> 	abbreviations that vi does?  I ask this because I don't know
> 	wmany many people with speech imopairments or who cannot speak
> 	at all would be interested in using my version of vi/vim with
> 	it's .ex/.nex/.vimrc and my hundred+ abbreviations.
>
> 	The IM app, pidgin is not an editor, but it does let user use
> 	the mouse and/or arrow keys.  pidgin also uses abbrvs.  BEcause
> 	i type so slowly, i have my pidgin set up to use a slew of
> 	abbrev.  [Well, not the obv's, like 'FWIW' :-) ... but other
> 	words.
>
> 	I would be interested in knowing how many list members _don't_
> 	know vi and use another editor.  just curious....
>
> 	gary

I have been using nedit for many years.  It is very easy to use.  It
uses the mouse, arrow keys, etc. so you don't have to do multiple
keystrokes.  Vi is insane.  I don't know what you mean about the
abbreviations though.  I don't think it does that.  The current version
in ports for 8.1-RELEASE has a problem requiring a simple patch when it
is built. This was discussed here a couple weeks ago.

Best regards,
Fred