Installing free bsd

Dave dave at g8kbv.demon.co.uk
Tue Dec 13 11:51:46 UTC 2011

> Im new to FreeBSD and did a FTP of 8.2 and unzipped to a cd rom. It
> was an ISO Version. I then FTP the CDROM BOOT file and un zipped it.
> Unfortunately It wont auto start when i put disk in computer startup.
> Need support.. Is the windows format on disk causing problems?

Daniel..

The "Windows format" has nothing to do with the problem.

You need to take the .ISO image files, and burn a CD from it, not extract
or copy it to a CD..

For Windows, I use this:-
http://www.ntfs.com/iso-burning.htm   It works very well, and the price
is right (free.)  Very easy to use.

If you already have "Nero Buring Rom" installed, that will also take a
.ISO file, and use it to burn a CD.  Slightly more complex to use, but
does a good job.  (You need to select "Burn an image to disk" option,
then go look for the .ISO file to use, it's not the default!)

There are many similar tools for the job, but just unzipping the file to
a cd will not make a bootable disk.

Contrary to what some have said, Windows (certainly XP and earlier) do
not recognise the .ISO format natively, so no ammount of clicking or
double clicking on it will help.

You do of course, also have to configure your PC's bios to boot from a
CD, or know the hotkey to interupt it's normal boot sequence, and tell it
to boot from an alternative drive.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Dave B.