Installing free bsd

Dermidio A.P. dermidio at holguin.inf.cu
Mon Dec 12 23:21:49 UTC 2011

Pierre-Luc Drouin wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 4:00 PM, Jerry McAllister<jerrymc at msu.edu>  wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 02:36:04PM -0600, Daniel Lewis wrote:
>>
>>> Im new to FreeBSD and did a FTP of 8.2 and unzipped to a cd rom. It
>>> was an ISO Version. I then FTP the CDROM BOOT file and un zipped it.
>>> Unfortunately It wont auto start when i put disk in computer startup.
>>> Need support.. Is the windows format on disk causing problems?
>>>
>> Well, the .iso files you get from the FreeBSD distribution are ISO
>> image files that need to be burned directly to a disk.  There is no
>> other processing or formatting that may be done.
>>
>> I do not know what you mean by 'unzipped to a cd rom'.  I have never
>> done anything that sounded like that.
>>
>> You should just download the .iso file and burn in to a fresh cd
>> and fixate it.  Then boot it.
>>
>> ////jerry
>>
> Yeah, there is nothing to "unzip". You need to simply burn the ISO
> image on a CD/DVD. Once it is burned you should look at the content of
> the CD/DVD and you should see the files that are part of the ISO
> image...

Hello, Daniel Lewis:

If you come from Windows world, probably by "unzipping to a cd rom" you
mean
double-clicking the .iso file and burning to a cd the displayed content
of the iso file.
Please, don't do that.

Just look for " burn image" in your cd burning program, navigate to your
just
downloaded .iso file and select it for burning.

If you want to install 8.2 version, you only need to download and burn
the file:

FreeBSD-8.2-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso

and later, maybe you will need to burn (in the same way, better in
different disks) the files:

FreeBSD-8.2-RELEASE-i386-disc2.iso and FreeBSD-8.2-RELEASE-i386-disc3.iso

Then (Backup all your data) insert the first cd (-disc1.iso), restart
your PC and
select booting from the cd drive.

But first! Please read more detailed instructions, and *Warnings* in:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/install-pre.html

Good luck,
dermidio.