ZFS License and Future

Arthur Chance freebsd at qeng-ho.org
Mon Nov 8 17:47:56 UTC 2010

On 11/08/10 16:08, Svein Skogen (Listmail account) wrote:
> On 08.11.2010 16:37, Arthur Chance wrote:

>>> im not sure on whether that you be a viable replacement, as it has to
>>> be a
>>> fairly good checksum to avoid clashes, whilst also being quick so it
>>> doesnt
>>> adversly affect disk performance. Also what does it do if it detects the
>>> checksum doesnt match etc?
>>
>> Good point. Geli uses a crypto standard hash (HMAC/SHA256 is
>> recommended) as it's all about authentication in the face of potentially
>> malicious attack, and that's fairly expensive. ZFS by default uses the
>> fletcher2 (= fletcher32) hash, which is simple and fast, as it's used to
>> make sure that hardware hasn't accidentally mangled your data.
>
> But it's still not capable of true forward-error-correction. If we are
> to embark upon creating a new solution, using something that is cheap
> for "normal cases" but can still be used (albeit more expensively) for
> error recovery would (imho) be better. Even if that means we get less
> net storage out of the gross pool (it could perhaps be configurable?)

Presuming you're talking about ZFS, the hash isn't intended to correct
hardware errors, it's only there to detect them. Correction comes from
mirroring or the use of RAIDZ{1,2,3}. (I have personal experience of how
well that works, as I had a disk in a RAIDZ array go bad suddenly, and I
didn't lose any data.) Any new solution would almost certainly mimic
ZFS's approach of arranging the data as a Merkel tree, and using
multiple copies or N out of M shares for correction. I'm not sure GEOM's
block orientation fits well with Merkel trees though, although I'd be
happy to be corrected by a GEOM expert.

--
"Although the wombat is real and the dragon is not, few know what a
wombat looks like, but everyone knows what a dragon looks like."

	-- Avram Davidson, _Adventures in Unhistory_