ZFS License and Future

Svein Skogen (Listmail account) svein-listmail at stillbilde.net
Mon Nov 8 16:08:25 UTC 2010

On 08.11.2010 16:37, Arthur Chance wrote:
> On 11/08/10 13:52, krad wrote:

>>> data

>>> The GEOM_ELI class provides optional authentication/checksumming. See
>>> geli(8),
>>> especially the -a option.
>>>
>>> Roland
>>> --
>>> R.F.Smith
>>> http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/<http://www.xs4all.nl/%7Ersmith/>
>>> [plain text _non-HTML_ PGP/GnuPG encrypted/signed email much
>>> appreciated]
>>> pgp: 1A2B 477F 9970 BA3C 2914  B7CE 1277 EFB0 C321 A725 (KeyID:
>>> C321A725)
>>>

>> im not sure on whether that you be a viable replacement, as it has to
>> be a
>> fairly good checksum to avoid clashes, whilst also being quick so it
>> doesnt
>> adversly affect disk performance. Also what does it do if it detects the
>> checksum doesnt match etc?
>
> Good point. Geli uses a crypto standard hash (HMAC/SHA256 is
> recommended) as it's all about authentication in the face of potentially
> malicious attack, and that's fairly expensive. ZFS by default uses the
> fletcher2 (= fletcher32) hash, which is simple and fast, as it's used to
> make sure that hardware hasn't accidentally mangled your data.

But it's still not capable of true forward-error-correction. If we are
to embark upon creating a new solution, using something that is cheap
for "normal cases" but can still be used (albeit more expensively) for
error recovery would (imho) be better. Even if that means we get less
net storage out of the gross pool (it could perhaps be configurable?)

//Svein

--
--------+-------------------+-------------------------------
  /"\   |Svein Skogen       | svein at d80.iso100.no
  \ /   |Solberg Østli 9    | PGP Key:  0xE5E76831
   X    |2020 Skedsmokorset | svein at jernhuset.no
  / \   |Norway             | PGP Key:  0xCE96CE13
        |                   | svein at stillbilde.net
 ascii  |                   | PGP Key:  0x58CD33B6
 ribbon |System Admin       | svein-listmail at stillbilde.net
Campaign|stillbilde.net     | PGP Key:  0x22D494A4
        |msn messenger:     | Mobile Phone: +47 907 03 575
        |svein at jernhuset.no | RIPE handle:    SS16503-RIPE
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.