ZFS License and Future

Arthur Chance freebsd at qeng-ho.org
Mon Nov 8 15:37:51 UTC 2010

On 11/08/10 13:52, krad wrote:

>> data
>>>
>>> I guess that depends on what you're doing with the data and what kind of
>>> external tools you have in place to protect/duplicate it in case of a
>>> problem.
>>
>> The GEOM_ELI class provides optional authentication/checksumming. See
>> geli(8),
>> especially the -a option.
>>
>> Roland
>> --
>> R.F.Smith                                   http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/<http://www.xs4all.nl/%7Ersmith/>
>> [plain text _non-HTML_ PGP/GnuPG encrypted/signed email much appreciated]
>> pgp: 1A2B 477F 9970 BA3C 2914  B7CE 1277 EFB0 C321 A725 (KeyID: C321A725)
>>

> im not sure on whether that you be a viable replacement, as it has to be a
> fairly good checksum to avoid clashes, whilst also being quick so it doesnt
> adversly affect disk performance. Also what does it do if it detects the
> checksum doesnt match etc?

Good point. Geli uses a crypto standard hash (HMAC/SHA256 is
recommended) as it's all about authentication in the face of potentially
malicious attack, and that's fairly expensive. ZFS by default uses the
fletcher2 (= fletcher32) hash, which is simple and fast, as it's used to
make sure that hardware hasn't accidentally mangled your data.

--
"Although the wombat is real and the dragon is not, few know what a
wombat looks like, but everyone knows what a dragon looks like."

	-- Avram Davidson, _Adventures in Unhistory_