How long do you go without upgrading FreeBSD to a newer release?

David DEMELIER demelier.david at gmail.com
Sat May 22 07:03:39 UTC 2010

2010/5/21 Hans Ivers <hansivers at gmail.com>:
> On May 16, 11:42 am, Dan Naumov <dan.nau... at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello folks
>>
>> Just a thought/question that has recently come to my mind: How long do
>> you usually wait until upgrading to a newer release of FreeBSD? I am
>> sure there are lots of people who upgrade straight away, but what
>> about the opposite? What's your oldest currently running installation,
>> do you have any issues and are you planning on an upgrade or do you
>> intend to leave it running as is until some critical piece of hardware
>> breaks down, requiring a replacement?
>
> I tend to stick with extended releases of FreeBSD, which are supported
> for two years instead of one. It reduces the need for minor version
> upgrades. When time comes, I jump to the next extended release (i.e,
> from 7.1 to 7.3, which has also extended support).
>
> http://security.freebsd.org/#sup
>
> Good luck!

I have a desktop computer (Athlon 2400+) running 8.0-RELEASE, I will
update it to 8.1-RELEASE and I update the portstree and ports every
weeks. I also have a laptop that have some issues to fix, because
8.0-R do not have iwn(4) for my intel 1000 link I use 8.0-STABLE on it
and I update world/kernel every two weeks but when 8.1-RELEASE will be
released I won't use -STABLE anymore, I guess.

Cheers.

--
Demelier David