How long do you go without upgrading FreeBSD to a newer release?

Hans Ivers hansivers at gmail.com
Fri May 21 15:55:20 UTC 2010

On May 16, 11:42 am, Dan Naumov <dan.nau... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello folks
>
> Just a thought/question that has recently come to my mind: How long do
> you usually wait until upgrading to a newer release of FreeBSD? I am
> sure there are lots of people who upgrade straight away, but what
> about the opposite? What's your oldest currently running installation,
> do you have any issues and are you planning on an upgrade or do you
> intend to leave it running as is until some critical piece of hardware
> breaks down, requiring a replacement?

I tend to stick with extended releases of FreeBSD, which are supported
for two years instead of one. It reduces the need for minor version
upgrades. When time comes, I jump to the next extended release (i.e,
from 7.1 to 7.3, which has also extended support).

http://security.freebsd.org/#sup

Good luck!