microsoft windows help needed (DHCP server problems)

Diego F. Arias R. dak.col at gmail.com
Mon May 10 18:50:48 UTC 2010

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 1:41 PM, Aleksandr Miroslav
<alexmiroslav at gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm running FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE on my work PC.
>
> My organization runs largely Windows desktops with a sizable chunk of
> Mac OS X machines.
>
> Whenever a Windows/Mac connects to the Windows-based DHCP server, it
> not only does the normal DHCP functions (i.e. gets an IP), it also
> sets the hostname on the Windows server for that IP.
>
> i.e. when windows.example.org connects to dhcpserver.example.org, the
> dhcp server assigns to it 192.168.1.1 AND sets the PTR record for
> 192.168.1.1 to be windows.example.org.
>
> But for my FreeBSD box seems to only do the first part, i.e. get an IP
> address. The second part does not seem to be done.
>
> Is this some Windows/Mac overloading of the DHCP protocol that I
> cannot do, or is there some DHCP bit I need to flip to make this
> happen?
>

> thanks,
> Alex

Im think you are wrong (Not 100% shure), yes the DHCP assign the ip but is
the windows machine (Client) thats sets its name on the DNS (At least on a
Active Directory domain)

So when that fails you put ipconfig /registerdns (Windows Machine).

anyway check   man dhclient.conf the part of examples is maybe what you are
looking for. (send host-name "andare.fugue.com";)

Diego Arias

--
mmm, interesante.....