microsoft windows help needed (DHCP server problems)

Aleksandr Miroslav alexmiroslav at gmail.com
Mon May 10 18:41:12 UTC 2010

I'm running FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE on my work PC.

My organization runs largely Windows desktops with a sizable chunk of
Mac OS X machines.

Whenever a Windows/Mac connects to the Windows-based DHCP server, it
not only does the normal DHCP functions (i.e. gets an IP), it also
sets the hostname on the Windows server for that IP.

i.e. when windows.example.org connects to dhcpserver.example.org, the
dhcp server assigns to it 192.168.1.1 AND sets the PTR record for
192.168.1.1 to be windows.example.org.

But for my FreeBSD box seems to only do the first part, i.e. get an IP
address. The second part does not seem to be done.

Is this some Windows/Mac overloading of the DHCP protocol that I
cannot do, or is there some DHCP bit I need to flip to make this
happen?

thanks,
Alex