microsoft windows help needed (DHCP server problems)

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon May 10 19:11:22 UTC 2010

On 10/05/2010 19:41:10, Aleksandr Miroslav wrote:
> I'm running FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE on my work PC.
>
> My organization runs largely Windows desktops with a sizable chunk of
> Mac OS X machines.
>
> Whenever a Windows/Mac connects to the Windows-based DHCP server, it
> not only does the normal DHCP functions (i.e. gets an IP), it also
> sets the hostname on the Windows server for that IP.
>
> i.e. when windows.example.org connects to dhcpserver.example.org, the
> dhcp server assigns to it 192.168.1.1 AND sets the PTR record for
> 192.168.1.1 to be windows.example.org.
>
> But for my FreeBSD box seems to only do the first part, i.e. get an IP
> address. The second part does not seem to be done.
>
> Is this some Windows/Mac overloading of the DHCP protocol that I
> cannot do, or is there some DHCP bit I need to flip to make this
> happen?

It's just a difference in behaviour between Windows and the traditional
Unixy way.  MacOS X seems to have moved towards the Windows-y way of
doing things.

What's happening is that your Unix machine is getting its IP number,
default route etc. from the DHCP server, but it isn't sending
information back to the DHCP server -- such as what its hostname is.
You can use a 'send { }' clause in dhclient.conf to change that -- see
dhclient.conf(5) and dhcp-options(5).  Usually it's the DHCP server that
inserts the hostname / IP pair into the DNS once it receives the
hostname back from each client.

Something like:

interface em0 {
	send host-name "myhost" ;
	send domain-name "example.org" ;
}

should do the trick (Untested, use appropriate common sense, yadda yadda)

Hmmm.... actually, perhaps I've misread your intent: you can configure
the DHCP server to override the clients idea of what its hostname is --
generally the DHCP server will tell the client to use the hostname
corresponding to the IP as already set up in the DNS or in /etc/hosts on
the DHCP server.  Or else you can have the clients voluntarily request a
name from the DHCP server. To make this happen on a Unix box, you just
need to request the host name using dhclient.conf(8).

	Cheers,

	Matthew

- --
                                                  Flat 3