Updating ports was Flash viewer for FBSD

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Mar 7 05:10:28 UTC 2010

On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 11:30:04 +0700, Pongthep Kulkrisada <ptkrisada at gmail.com> wrote:
> But it takes very long time to rebuild all ports.
> Main problem is KDE, big big ports.
> Okay, I shall do it, when I have time.

You can consider using "pkgadd -r" to install binary packages.
Those are quite synchon with the ports tree (as they are
centrally built from the ports tree).

> I understand what you said.
> But I always have no time to do so.
> Normally, I concentrate on my work rather than tracking new patches.

What about using freebsd-update? It delivers patches in binary
form for the OS, so you don't need to make world and kernel,
and if you're following the 8.x-RELEASE-p track, you don't
have to recompile your whole software ports - as it has been
mentioned, this is only needed if you update the major version
number (e. g. 7.2 -> 8.0).

> I upgrade ALL FREQUENT used ports and ALL related libraries required by them.

Programs like portmaster can be really helpful here.

> Excluding GUI stuffs.

Oh yes, the joy if you want to have a german OpenOffice version,
where you could run "pkg_add -r de-openoffice" in the past... :-)
I know what you mean, I try to avoid compile orgies whenever
possible, at least on my home system. On servers which usually
don't have GUI stuff, but services that need updates often due
to security considerations, it's not a big deal.)

> When I want to update *ALL* these kinds of things (2-3 years once),
> I wget iso images, in stead of cvsup/csup.

The ISO images are tied to a specific OS version, and they can
be used with it without problems. You can run into trouble when
upgrading the OS, and then try to install software from a CD
that expects another OS version.

Using "pkg_add -r" offers the same comfortability as installing
software from local CD or DVD, but it's usually "up to date" and
"fits better" to the ports tree - which is useful when you
install software both from source and from binaries.

> I always do this way since 5.4 without any problems excepted ``cdrecord''
> as mentioned earlier.

Which has been explained.

--
Polytropon