Java plugin with Firefox 3.6

Jerry freebsd.user at seibercom.net
Mon Jun 7 20:08:49 UTC 2010

On Tue, 8 Jun 2010 01:13:01 +1000 (EST)
Ian Smith <smithi at nimnet.asn.au> articulated:

> In freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 314, Issue 1, Message: 33
> On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 06:08:24 -0400 Jerry <freebsd.user at seibercom.net>
> wrote:
>  > On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 07:50:04 +0200
>  > Harry Matthiesen Jensen <freebsd at elgert.dk> articulated:
>  >
>  >
>  > > On Mon, Jun 07, 2010 at 12:20:08AM +0000, Márcio C.G. wrote:
>  > > >
>  > > > As this link (http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=10570)
>  > > > says, JAVA PLUGIN WONT WORK WITH FIREFOX 3.6. I tried to use
>  > > > linux-sun-jdk16 port, but the plugin didn t work too. Is there
>  > > > an workaround or anybody that knows how-to use java plugin
>  > > > within firefox 3.6?
>  > > >
>  > >
>  > > I just "portinstall firefox3", which right now will give you
>  > > Firefox 3.5.9, and java works ;-)
>  >
>  > The OP requested help with Firefox-3.6, not with older deprecated
>  > versions. Perhaps when version '4' is released, support for Java in
>  > '3.6.x' will become available.
>
> Dear Jerry,
>
> as CEO of FreeBSD Multinational Corporation Incorporated, please
> allow me to personally apologise for this unforgiveable lapse by our
> 'Keep FreeBSD 100% Firefox-Compatible' Department; trust me, heads
> will roll.
>
> Unfortunately, I'm so high up in the hierarchy that I'm rarely
> familiar with the names of those minions down on the 13th floor hired
> to do the actual programming.  It would be most helpful if you could
> apportion blame directly to those individual/s responsible; otherwise
> I'll have to work through layers of department heads, middle
> management, team leaders and such, and you know how they can close
> ranks in a crisis.  It may take some time, but rest assured we'll
> catch and fire him, her or them!
>
> Thank you for your patience during our investigation of your
> complaint. If still dissatisfied, of course I shall personally
> authorise the full refund of your purchase price.

I honestly enjoy satire. That said, it does not change the fact that a
serviceable version of Java, suitable for Firefox-3.6, does not exist
within the FreeBSD framework. A quick investigation of other operating
systems would seem to indicate that FreeBSD is virtually alone in this
regards. Now, I am sure that you have personally seen the white sheet
detailing the technical reasons for this and will be willing to share
it with me and perhaps others who might also be curious about the lack
of said product.

Now, I assume that you are familiar with the nVidia 64 bit drivers and
FreeBSD. It took years for that to be rectified. Based on that past
experience, I feel that stating that Firefox-4 might well be released
before a serviceable Java is available for version 3.6+ is a real
possibility.

Your commentary does serve to prove a very real point however. To wit:

Pointing out or stating a problem with a Microsoft product is
insightful, constructive criticism; however, doing the same for an open
source product is destructive, counter productive, flame bait.

Seriously Ian, I question whether the FreeBSD authors are more
interested in bumping version numbers than they are in producing a
fully serviceable, quality product. When was the last time you tried
getting a native FreeBSD driver for an 	'N' class USB wireless
device? Drivers for chips over a year old don't exist. It just seems to
me that the priority should be on getting the present product fully
functional rather than simply bumping version numbers. Then again, that
is just my 2₵.

--
Jerry ✌
FreeBSD.user at seibercom.net

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.