IPv6 rtadv on FreeBSD 8.1?

Carl Johnson carlj at peak.org
Fri Jul 30 22:50:42 UTC 2010

Vincent Hoffman <vince at unsane.co.uk> writes:

> On 30/07/2010 18:48, Carl Johnson wrote:
>> I have running versions of 7.3 and 8.0, so I tried experimenting with
>> 8.1 in VirtualBox, but I ran into a couple of problems.  I have an 8.0
>> system that is running a IPv6 tunnel to sixxs.net, and it is running
>> rtadvd to act as the gatway for my network.  On the 8.1 system I
>> enabled IPv6 in rc.conf, but it is not picking up the advertised
>> address.  I can add it manually, and have put it in rc.local for now,
>> but it seems it should work automatically as my others do.  I noticed
>> that the ifconfig output shows a new line that is not in 8.0:
>>         nd6 options=3<PERFORMNUD,ACCEPT_RTADV>
>>
>> Is there something that has changed in 8.1 that I have to enable, or
>> is there a problem with 8.1?  IPv6 is working to the extent that it
>> did assign a link-local address, and I can use that address as long as
>> I specify the interface.  My configuration is the same, and I didn't
>> have to enable anything on the others to get the global address
>> assigned automatically.
>>
>> Thanks for any advice.
>>
> I dont knw if its expected or not but try running
> sysctl net.inet6.ip6.accept_rtadv=1
>
> (to make it persistent  echo "net.inet6.ip6.accept_rtadv=1" >>
> /etc/sysctl.conf )

I had already checked that and it is enabled by default, but thanks
for the suggestion anyways.  It also turns out that I was wrong about
it working with manual configuration.  I forgot that the automatic
configuration sets up the external routing, and I haven't figured out
how to do that manually.  So it works for my internal network, but
nowhere else.
Carl Johnson		carlj at peak.org