custom log in website folder

Daniel Bye freebsd-questions at slightlystrange.org
Tue Jul 20 11:27:31 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 01:18:50PM +0200, Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> All my website logs are in /var/log but one user would like to have
> access to a custom log specific to his site. Sites are in
> /usr/local/v/
>
> How can I make /var/log/custom.log available to him in /usr/local/v/site/logs/?
>
> Does it need a symlink? But will he be able to read the log if it is
> only a symlink to /var/log/custom.log?
>
> I'd appreciate your suggestions and sorry for asking a basically
> non-freebsd related question but this community has always been a
> wonderul source of inspiration and help.

You can probably configure your web server to write separate logs for
each site you host. That way, you don't need to expose the entire log
data to each user - each will see only what's relevant to their site.
How you do this depends on the web server you use, of course. You should
also be able to have the log files written to your preferred location.

Dan

--
Daniel Bye
                                                                     _