Setup FTP service on FreeBSD 2.0.5?

David Rawling djr at pdconsec.net
Thu Jan 7 23:31:05 UTC 2010

On 7/01/2010 2:35 AM, Jerry McAllister wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 06:20:53PM +0800, Paul Shi wrote:
>
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> I am trying to find a way to setup a wireless network with a FreeBSD server
>> machine running FTP service. The release of FreeBSD I intend to use is 2.0.5
>> but I could not find anything on how to setup FTP service on FreeBSD 2.0.5
>> in handbook. There are only howto on PPP and SLIP. Does anyone have a
>> handbook on how to enable FTP service on FreeBSD 2.0.5? Millions thanks!
>>
> I haven't followed your whole thread, but is there a good reason
> you want to use such an old version of FreeBSD?   You would be
> very seriously better off installing the latest version -- especially
> if you plan to use the system on the internet.  There have been many
> many security fixes since 2.0.5 was around.     It should not be
> difficult to have access to the latest version in Hong Kong.
> There may even be a mirror site there.

I definitely second this - unless there's an old application that
doesn't work any more, it would certainly be easier and more secure to
use the 7.2 or 8.0 releases of FreeBSD.

After all, Internet or Intranet, it only takes one loathsome,
dispicable, contemptible miscreant to find a security hole, and your
entire server is toast.

There appears to be a mirror site for FreeBSD in Hong Kong at
ftp://ftp.hk.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/

Dave.

--
David Rawling