RELEASE vice CURRENT vice STABLE

JB jb.1234abcd at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 18:02:56 UTC 2010

On Fri, 03 Dec 2010 16:26:33 +0000, RW wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Dec 2010 14:42:09 +0100
> J B <jb.1234abcd at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have:
>> $ uname -r
>> 8.1-RELEASE
>> installed.
>>
>> I understand the concept of software dev, and RELEASE (a snapshot in
>> time), and CURRENT as a dev branch, and STABLE as a dev branch followed
>> CURRENT. But I have difficulty placing them in a dev and respository
>> tree.
>>
>> For example, in my case, can I describe it as below 8.1-RELEASE ->
>> 8.2-CURRENT -> 8.2-STABLE -> 8.2-RCn -> 8.2-RELEASE and the cycle
>> repeats ?
>
> Broadly n-STABLE branch-off from CURRENT and  release security branches
> branch-off from a STABLE  branch. Release candidates are usually points
> on a Stable Branch, and releases are points on the security branch.
> Occasionally it has been bit more complicated.

Thanks RW,
this is how I visualize it:

8.1-RELEASE -> 8.2-CURRENT -> 8.2-STABLE -> 8.2-RCn -> 8.2-RELEASE

CURRENT branch branches off RELEASE branch;
STABLE branch branches off CURRENT branch;
Release Security branch branches off STABLE branch;
RCn are usually points (snapshots) on STABLE branch;
RELEASE is a point (snapshot) on STABLE branch;
RELEASE is a point (snapshot) on Release Security branch;
Occasionally it has been a bit more complicated -:)

Still not sure about:
CURRENT (off RELEASE branch at time of release ?)
RC (why "usually" ?)
RELEASE (only one valid, or both, depending on circumstances ?)

JB