RELEASE vice CURRENT vice STABLE

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Sat Dec 4 00:41:00 UTC 2010

On Fri, 3 Dec 2010 18:02:43 +0000 (UTC)
JB <jb.1234abcd at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 03 Dec 2010 16:26:33 +0000, RW wrote:

> > Broadly n-STABLE branch-off from CURRENT and  release security
> > branches branch-off from a STABLE  branch. Release candidates are
> > usually points on a Stable Branch, and releases are points on the
> > security branch. Occasionally it has been bit more complicated.
>
> Thanks RW,
> this is how I visualize it:
>
> 8.1-RELEASE -> 8.2-CURRENT -> 8.2-STABLE -> 8.2-RCn -> 8.2-RELEASE
>
> CURRENT branch branches off RELEASE branch;

That may have effectively happened in the distant past, but it's not the
norm. CURRENT is the one branch that's updated indefinitely, it's the
continuous line of development where all new work is done. The term
9-CURRENT simply refers to CURRENT between the branching of 8-STABLE
and the branching of 9-STABLE. Likewise 8.2-STABLE is 8-STABLE between
between the branching of  8.1 and 8.2 release branches. There is no such
thing as 8.2-CURRENT. This aspect, where different bits of a branch
have different names is IMO needlessly confusing.

> STABLE branch branches off CURRENT branch;
yes
> Release Security branch branches off STABLE branch;
yes
> RCn are usually points (snapshots) on STABLE branch;
yes
> RELEASE is a point (snapshot) on STABLE branch;

*A* release is a point on a security branch (i.e. release
branch) which is branched-off a stable branch.

> RELEASE is a point (snapshot) on Release Security branch;

The original release is followed by point releases with security
updates, these all occur on that branch.

> Occasionally it has been a bit more complicated -:)

There's a diagram somewhere (in the handbook I think) that shows the
convoluted  history of the early branches.

> Still not sure about:
> CURRENT (off RELEASE branch at time of release ?)

no, that's wrong.

> RC (why "usually" ?)

Once a release security branch is created, any late RCs have to go in
that.

> RELEASE (only one valid, or both, depending on circumstances ?)

There are many releases and release branches - only a subset is
officially supported by the security team.